Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What is my portion?

Give me neither poverty nor riches;
Feed me with the food that is my portion,
That I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?"
Or that I not be in want and steal,
And profane the name of my God. Proverbs 30:8b-9

Is this my prayer? Do I ask God to give me just what I need and no more? It became very evident to me when I was 18 years old and visited a small island called Dominica that I am a rich person. Yes, there are lots of people in the United States who have lots more than me. But, compared to millions around the world and even millions here in the U.S., I have always been rich. I have always had enough to eat, clothes to wear, and a warm bed to sleep in at night.

Yet, there have been numerous times in my life that I have been unappreciative of what I have because I want more. And, I can think back to times where in my abundance, I failed to give God the glory and have forgotten that He is the source of all that I have.

My encouragement today to you and especially me, is to pray a prayer that sounds like Proverbs 30:8-9. I think when we pray a prayer like that with a sincere heart, the Lord will bless us with a true appreciation for what He has done for us. Because, really, despite how much or how little we have materially, we ALL have the most precious gift offered to us by God our Father..........and that is the salvation that comes through Jesus.

Jesus is my portion!

Dear Father, I pray today that you will give me only what I need......no more and no less. Lord, I praise your name for the way you have cared for my physical needs. Help me to only desire the things that I need, and most of all, create in me a heart focused on the love of your Son Jesus so that I can shine His light to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment