Monday, January 26, 2009

Adoption as Sons

For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. Romans 8:14-17

As I was sitting in worship one Sunday morning, trying to focus on the Lord, thoughts of my 3 year old son kept distracting me. On this particular morning, I was worried about how my Jacob was having such a hard time adjusting to his new church home. He had been fussing each Sunday morning before church about any little thing. He had told me at one point that he didn't have any friends in Bible class. And, each time we dropped him off for Bible class, he kept a scowl on his face and the teachers were having a very difficult time getting him to participate. It had been 5 months since our move to a new state leaving behind the only church family he had ever known. But, I really thought that he would adjust much quicker.

On that Sunday morning, with all of these worries and some tears, I was thinking about how hard parenting can be.................loving someone so immensely and trying to figure out the right things to do to help that little someone grow into a well adjusted Christian with a focus on Him. How, when they hurt, you hurt. How when they are difficult and willful, you worry and second guess. I was also thinking of how extremely wonderful it is to be Jacob's mommy. Since the moment I laid eyes on my son, I have been completely and totally amazed at my love for him and how every little thing he does and says is so special! It is liking wearing my heart on the outside of my body.

And then, it hit me. This is how our heavenly Father feels about us! He loved us SO much that He left Heaven to save us. And when we are obeying Him..........oh the joy and pride He must feel. When we stop to talk to Him, he probably hangs on every word. And when we are teaching others about Him, is he thinking, "That's MY child!"?

And, I also realized that when we turn our back on Him, what a great sorrow and loss it must be.

In Romans 8, the Bible tells us that those who are being led by His Spirit have received a spirit of adoption as sons. And for that reason we can cry out, "Abba! Father!"

My son Jacob is adopted. Although he did not grow in my womb, I know that God created me to be his mother. I thank God so much every day for the blessing that Jacob is to me. I have learned so much and know that I have much more to learn.......he is still only 3! But today, I wanted to share with you one of the most profound lessons that I've learned as a parent..........now I can see how my heavenly Father feels about you and me. We are His children! His sons and daughters. He loves us, and wants nothing less than to have us in Heaven with Him. And not only that...........He has revealed to us how to get there! Through His Son. Our Lord and Savior, Jesus.

I praise Him for choosing me!

What has being a parent taught you about your heavenly Father? If you haven't become a child of His, what is standing in your way? I would love to hear your comments and/or help you as you think about becoming one of His.

No comments:

Post a Comment